Who are our Students?
Breakthrough students are academically motivated and possess a determination to succeed. They work hard, love to learn, think critically, take risks and enthusiastically and resolutely pursue academic challenges.
They are also overcoming obstacles. They are often the first generation in their family to attend college or the first in their family to speak English. Many receive free or reduced lunch assistance or are students of color. Many are from low-income families or attend underperforming schools.
Overcoming these obstacles is not merely a possibility, but an expectation. For this reason, Breakthrough students choose to spend hundreds of hours after school and six weeks of their summer perfecting their academic skills and enriching their education. They persevere to achieve their ultimate goal of thriving in college.
“My parents weren’t able to finish school. They have told me that a life without an education is not a very happy life and I can see that. That’s why my number one priority is my studies and Breakthrough has taught me to always persevere and never give up.” – Adriana, Sophomore, Pioneer High School
In spite of many obstacles BSV students achieve.
- 100% are taking high level college prep courses
- 82% enroll in geometry or higher by the 9th grade
- 80% of the 9th graders and 92% of the 10th graders were taking either biology or an advanced science course
- 85% have a GPA of 3.0 or above
- 92% attend four-year universities including Stanford, Brandeis, Cornell, Santa Clara University